Tuesday, August 29, 2006

You Make Me Want To...

Today was my first dealing with a whole lot of vomit and infectious disease, my clinical instructor (CI) keeps saying "you really need to experience someone passing out on you"
and I made ground beef for lunch tomorrow, yummy.

Furthermore... Tomorrow I hopefully find out that I can do my inservice on the topic I actually would like to choose: shortening length of stay, fast track, anesthesia, and how PT ties into all of this.
For those of you who don't know an inservice as defined by Wikipedia is a professional lecture, where professionals discuss research and cases involving their work for others in their peer group. It is a key component of medical education for Physicians, Pharmacists, and other professionals.

I love how we are part of "other professionals" while Pharmacists get mention... just another lack of respect issue...
Anywho, the inservice is required as part of my clinical experience, so I have to "git 'er done" and I will update you all on my progress (please don't fall off the edge of your seat just yet)...

Todays words of the day:

Cipro(floxacin) – Treats Anthrax! Also an antibiotic to treat bacterial infections e.g. pneumonia, bronchitis, gonorrhea, diarrhea caused by bacteria, typhoid fever, and bone, joint, skin, prostate, sinus, and urinary tract (bladder) infections.

HNP – herniation of nucleus pulposus aka “herniated disc”

The Ilizarov Technique - used for bone loss, leg length discrepancy, congenital or post-traumatic deformities, and osteomyelitis. Most notable to me in the movie Gattaca where leading man Ethan Hawke has to become taller to commit some identitiy theft this technique is used. The basic concept behind it is the following: the bodies natural reaction to a broken bone is to try to fuse the two pieces back together, so if a broken bone already exists they place pins in their appropriate places on either end of the break and over time pull the two ends of broken bone apart and eventually more bone will grow in thus making the limb longer. So in theory our friend to the bottom should have a whole longer body if the technique is done correctly.

Good night!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home