Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Tired

These 10 hour days are really wearing on me and my feet... especially with the hour and a half commute, stop at the store, cook, eat, sleep approach...

Anywho, saw my first famous person today, he wasn't a pt. but was visiting one, unfortunately I cannot expose who this famous person is due to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act aka HIPAA. This is a law that was passed a few years back to protect the privacy of pt's and their families. Fun stuff.

So I got my inservice topic that I wanted, thank you very much to the Therapist that gave me her topic and hopefully will help out with the student conclave I am organizing. I have to say most physical therapists I know are real helpful people (along the lines of reason of course).

I have seen many more "difficult" patients in the past few days in terms of different diagnoses and different levels of cognition. And my paperwork is getting real real good which is pleasant to have.
Quick side note: it is amazing that I can lock and unlock a car from 11 stories up just by pressing a little button, that is some amazing range.

Daily learning:
MRSA precautions - very common in hospitals and other health care facilities - “methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus” - MRSA is of special concern because it is often multi-drug resistant, thus limiting treatment options.

Vancomycin - this is an antibiotic medicine meaning that it helps fight the infection caused by bacteria, it has a number of side effects. Side effects almost always unwanted and probably most pertinent to PT's as they may prohibit the ability to proceed with therapy. Vancomycin has a lot of side effects that you can check at this link.

Alright I am tired, time to try to squeeze in 6 1/2 hrs of sleep.
Last thing: 30 days, House, and Psych are some great shows.

1 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mostly I'm researching for fun, but I am taking a hodge-podge class this semester that includes journal club, so I am getting ahead on that a little.

Funny story - my professor's first patient on her first job was an RA shoulder arthroplasty, something practically unheard of at the time. So today I did a Medline search and the first thing that popped up was an study on shoulder arthroplasties in RA. Evidence based practice counts for something!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home