Tuesday, October 23, 2007

SO Much Info Out There

Here is another great website for keeping up to date with Rehab News:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/sections/rehabilitation/

Here are two recent articles from there that are of interest to this Student PT:

1.

Soreness After Exercise Not Prevented By Stretching Out

Studies show that stretching before or after exercise has little or no effect on muscle soreness between half a day and three days later, a team of Cochrane Researchers has found.
...
"The data were remarkably consistent," says lead researcher Robert Herbert from the School of Physiotherapy at the University of Sydney, Australia, "The available evidence suggests that stretching before or after exercise does not prevent muscle soreness in young healthy adults."

The researchers do, however, believe that there is a need to see whether stretching can have an effect on people in the community who have reduced levels of flexibility.

2.

Sports Concussion Education Campaign Being Developed By National Athletic Trainers' Asociation And National Academy Of Neuropsychology

"Often, brain injuries initially go unrecognized," said NATA president Chuck Kimmel, ATC. "The goal of this program is to educate individuals on the importance of rapid recognition and treatment of concussions and to ensure the athlete is ready to return to play."
--
This program is going to be vital in helping many athletes out there. In recent weeks I have unfortunately seen a number of concussions occur in sport and felt that everyone involved could use a little more education on the subject.

On another note, part of the reason I sometimes neglect to post for a few days has to do with the overwhelming amount of knowledge I get exposed to on a consistent basis. Just in the last few days I have been exposed to Tai Chi, Business Planning, a CAPTE accreditation review board, people e-mailing me about various topics in PT in response to previous blog posts, getting stuck in 3 hours of traffic trying to get to a continuing education course in Long Island, a NYPTA Board of Directors meeting where a number of bylaw changes for the NYSSIG I proposed were accepted, preparation for the National Student Conclave, an aerobic capacity/metabolic test on a treadmill (which was very cool and I will be a subject for later today...possibly) the list goes on and on... I stay fairly busy. This often leads to a lot of blog ideas but I am never sure which ones to include, which to filter out, so often times I just choose sleeping, studying, or working out instead of posting :-D sorry...

But I hope the content I do add is a benefit to someone in some way... if we can just change one person for the better... insert additional cliché here

And now it is raining outside so I must start my long wet commute, hope you have a great day and thanks for letting me get a little bit of PT off my chest...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home