Friday, October 19, 2007

Acupuncture

This past Tuesday we had a class that covered Acupuncture. The lecturer was both a PT and Acupuncturist. The experience of having needles pierce my skin to alleviate something in my body was something I had been curious about moreso for possible referral purposes in the future.

I was used as a subject for my 'tight' (some call it 'short') hamstrings. The needles going into the skin di not hurt, well some felt a little sharper than others as they probably went into much 'tighter' areas. She also used me to demonstrate 'cupping' - which involves taking clear plastic cups and creating a vaccum between the cup and my skin. This serves (in theory) to clear the meridians further. It reminded my of previous myofascial releases that I had received. Also, when I was younger my mother had taken me to a 'european' doctor to use cupping to treat my bronchitis and asthma. Back then they used oil and matches to create the vaccum. Back then a mixture of therapies seemed to help me clear my lungs up.

To review, acupuncture involves placing needles into points along the bodies meridians (which are likened to veins and arteries except are filled with chi aka life energy). At times these meridians can have blockages so the insertion of these needles helps clear the flow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home