Monday, May 28, 2007

A Memorial Post

Hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial Day off and hope everyone remembers why it is we have this "holiday."

Last week was very interesting for me. Got down to the end of the House of Delegates of the APTA. My buddy from MGH did a very in depth run down of the proceedings.
Also, the APTA published a few of the results on their ptbulletin.com page. As I have a tendency to do on this blog, I will avoid my opinions directly for or against main decision making body of PT. Generally I support their track, and short of a possible vote and voice I may one day have and the grassroots opinions I may influence, despite all of my "activism" as some may call it, I still have very little influence on any of the motions so for now I am monitoring the process and will hopefully one day have a greater influence on the direction. This brings me to a great quote that I received after attending the Advocacy Academy and PT Day on Capitol Hill down in DC:

We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.
Thomas Jefferson, 1787.

The event seemed to be a great success and was a great experience for me personally. Apparently we got 57 co-sponsors on the 3 bills we wanted co-sponsored which is pretty impressive for a one day turnaround. Even more so when you consider that Congress had major votes that same day and a 10 day vacation starting after that vote... hopefully a lot more co-sponsors come around on behalf of our profession and our patients. Very exciting process and I highly recommend the Advocacy Academy experience to anyone who wants to understand how the government works (I am sure APTA will host another one next year).

Now I am off to study for my practical on manual therapy skills for tomorrow... all the best to you all as always :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home