Wednesday, May 09, 2007

'Vacation'

I am writing this on my phone (treo 650 - I love technology), thus I am really hoping no one calls me while writing this or I will lose all that I write... anyway...

Yesterday I had a long and productive day. Let's back track the events of the last few days first though...
Saturday night was my programs semi-formal, good times lasted into the night...
Sunday went to Mt. Sinai in the city where my cardiopulm professor works to take my final and practical early...
Monday took my Pediatrics final, finished up the evidence based practice narrative review, handed in my portfolio and then swam...
Monday night signed up for Netflix (that's a big step in my life sadly)...
Tuesday at 4 30 AM left my house to meet the Brooklyn/Staten Island district to leave for Albany. We met with numerous assemblymen/women to 'lobby' for the following:
- support a bill the midwives put forth to give them the ability to refer to PT - this is a vital step as many women after giving birth (or even in preparation for this step) need PT. Women's health is a rapidly growing specialty within the PT world. Currently most of the states in America do have some form of direct access (meaning in order to see a PT you do not need a referral) but there are still many problems within the reimbursmenet aspect of this. Only physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, dentists, and podiatrists are the only medical personnel that can refer to PT now.
- Workers compensation rates for PT's have not changed in over 11 years so we pushed a bill to at least allow for a review of this process yearly.
- Utilization issues with certain insurance companies and their claims. Some companies have an '80 percent rule' that states if the patient has reached 80 percent of their opptimal function that is enough. The example we kept giving is that if someone has to walk 5 blocks to get to the bus to go to work and they have only reached 80 per. of that and can only walk 4 blocks, they will not reach the bus thus not getting to work... Phone won't let me write..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home