Thursday, May 03, 2007

Pilates & Children

The two aren't directly related for this post...

Yesterday I got to try pilates for the first time ever. It is something I had wanted to do for a long time, still haven't tried yoga directly. My university offers fitness classes that are very helpful in getting a good workout in. As a health care professional and soon to be PT especially I find them very helpful for generating new ideas and gaining and sharing new knowledge. So far I have only taken the total body class which was pretty intense and now the pilates class. Pilates has a major focus on core strength which seems to be vital for so many aspects of health and function. Unfortunately I also got bad news yesterday: I was too late in registering for the triathlon I wanted to compete in... but I will continue training (probably not as hard since I don't have a direct goal now... I am lost without a goal...) and I will look for the next best challenge, I will keep you all updated.
Now as a review for my pediatrics course here are the topics we are responsible for on the final:
  • Developmental Coordination Disorder - "The Clumsy Child"
  • Muscular Dystrophy and Related Disorders
  • Child Abuse/Neglect Reporting
  • Spina Bifida
  • Orthopedic Management in Pediatric PT
  • Mental Retardation (MR), Attention Deficit Disorders (ADD/ADHD)
  • Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)
  • Management of Cerebral Palsy
  • Documentation in the Pediatric Setting
  • Sensory Integration
  • Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
  • Treatment Planing and Treatment Approaches
    • Conductive Education
  • Child Tx Based on NDT principles
  • GMFM and Gubbay Tests of Motor Proficiency
    • Gubbay is a standardized test for children btwn. 8-12 y/o and includes the following activities:
      • Whistle through pouted lips
      • Skip forward five steps
      • Roll ball with feet
      • Throw, clap hands, then catch tennis ball
      • Tie one shoelace with doouble bow (single knot)
      • Thread 10 beads
      • Pierce 20 pinholes
      • Posting box
And I have cardiopulm. to study for... next few days not so fun... next time gonna spread the studying out more... haha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home