Sunday, July 01, 2007

Retroactive Taxi Post

Just ran out of clinic and am on my way to denver in the cab (to the airport...not a cab to denver)... thought I would blog some thoughts into my treo 650 to get to you-the reader.

I've been following two interesting debates over the past few days:

1) The advertisement of PT. On blog.evidenceinmotion.com, there was a good discussion that was sparked by a display in rockerfeller center in NY that promotes PT's role in diabetes prevention/management. A major issue with PT is how wide our scope is. It can be confusing to not have a specific area associated with us (as it should be 'bones and muscles'). But the nature of PT makes us not want to pigeon hole ourselves since there are so many 'niche' parts of the profession. We have 18 specialty interest sections that combined have around 43 special interest groups which get more specific into 'niche' areas... Bottom line is it is still difficult to define PT because we can do so much... But I will elaborate further when I'm not in a taxi

2) This is one I have been exposed to through my current clinical experience. As I have previously mentioned there is a large focus on myofascial work and positional release therapy (these both have many names from what I can tell). Today, my clinical instructor was explaining to me her rationale for using fascial work to correct an anteriorly rotated left hip. The main manual therapy technique we had received at this point of my education for such a condition was a muscle energy technique. My CI explained her thinking that the MET would not 'cure' the problem and it would likely return whereas with the myofascial work it would be a much more lengthy release thus being a longer term fix... Anyway it got me thinking about the timeliness and effectiveness of various PT interventions which I would love to get more into but I just got to the airport and have to catch my flight...

I do not currently have the ability to hyperlink you to some of the phrases in this entry so if you want elaboration on any of the phrases I mention always feel free to shoot me a comment or e-mail and I would be glad to field each question as best I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home