Saturday, March 31, 2007

Comment Response

I happened to see this comment from an old post that I never saw before... I found it quite interesting:

Super PT, you will soon find that everything you read in the book will come true right before your eyes. You however will forget that you read it and will act as if you already knew everything. It is the typical PT god syndrome and you have it bad. Take some time now to enjoy your status because when you get in the real world you will not last long with your currently mentality.

I also find it interesting that the only two comments I have ever received on this blog that were a bit "combative" were both from anonymous posters. This anonymous poster was very flattering though, they referred to me as a PT god... imagine that... do I give off that vibe to anyone else? I have been called cocky and my attention to detail seems to make people for some reason think I am arrogant-or the like (like our commenter's grammatical mistake at the end of his thoughts "currently mentality"). But I will never apologize for seeing errors and speaking up about it, nor for my attention to detail. But never before have I been called a god... nor do I think there is such a "typical" syndrome in PT.

I am far from thinking that 'I already know everything.' This is why I am constantly working to expand my knowledge base by going to as many extracurricular courses as I can (not to mention every class that is part of my program that I sit through). During my spring break (I meant to write a whole post about this)... actually I will save my spring break learning adventures for another post... good stuff about Low Back Pain... I digress back to the topic at hand. If you had read my post carefully perhaps you would have noticed that I was more upset at the grammar and unprofessional nature of the book then the message that is trying to turn me into a cynic about my own future. I am aware of many of the negative issues that the author brought up and how they may apply to the real world (I said many, not all, I certainly don't 'know it all'). So anonymous, whether you are the author of the book or a friend of the author, or even just a fan of it, I encourage you to write back and continue this dialogue in a professional manner. Perhaps you can offer some solutions for what you see in me as this "PT god syndrome" or how to deal with the problems of our profession, other than what was in the book. I wish you all the best anonymous and look forward to hearing from you again...

I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate my passion for the purity of this profession. I chose PT because of its basis in one on one patient care. I love the human body, I love learning about it, I love learning how to get the most out of it in every aspect and even how to repair it. The closer I get to the 'real world of PT' the more I realize how the purity of our profession is challenged, but that is why it is imperative that we justify our education and fight the good fight (as cliché as that sounds)... till next time...

3 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I respected the honesty in the book; the guy came out in public and said things that most of us would never mention in fear of being fired or the loss of referrals. He spoke up for those of us who care about the science, the evidence based aspect of it. The point I am trying to make is the fact that no one else has written anything like it or I have not read anything as of yet and all that I get from your review is “grammatical errors.” It shows the entire world that all you had to contribute was what you knew about the profession and that’s English grammar. It’s all you could pick apart, i.e. you have not yet experienced the theme that the book promotes (you have not practiced PT) so in order to have something to say that sounds important or intelligent you exaggerate on the grammar, (the only thing you feel credible enough to comment on.)

You brought light to the errors in order to appear powerful / knowledgeable, nothing else. It’s a classic case of narcissism;
Is "interpersonally exploitative", i.e., uses others to achieve his or her own ends.

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I respected the honesty in the book; the guy came out in public and said things that most of us would never mention in fear of being fired or the loss of referrals. He spoke up for those of us who care about the science, the evidence based aspect of it. The point I am trying to make is the fact that no one else has written anything like it or I have not read anything as of yet and all that I get from your review is “grammatical errors.” It shows the entire world that all you had to contribute was what you knew about the profession and that’s English grammar. It’s all you could pick apart, i.e. you have not yet experienced the theme that the book promotes (you have not practiced PT) so in order to have something to say that sounds important or intelligent you exaggerate on the grammar, (the only thing you feel credible enough to comment on.)

You brought light to the errors in order to appear powerful / knowledgeable, nothing else. It’s a classic case of narcissism;
Is "interpersonally exploitative", i.e., uses others to achieve his or her own ends.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So this comment was like 2 years late... at the time I did not have that much knowledge of the profession admittedly, I commented on some of the actual content of the book so you are off base there.
Furthermore, I think the attempted accusations towards me are quite unfounded. I certainly was not trying to make someone else feel bad about themselves to make me feel good, matter of fact your comment was quite amusing to read. I am not sure why you want to remain anonymous but I assume you are still the same person from 2 years ago who had the retorts with me. Keep on reading and hope you enjoy the new content at www.newprofessionalpt.blogspot.com
have a great day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home