Saturday, January 27, 2007

Book Review

While I have a million other things to read, I came across this book before I started classes and finished it at the beginning of my classes, just getting the review out now... It was a pretty disappointing book from what I expected (and paid)... The following is my Amazon review:

Firstly, for $28 the 100 page book is short on content. Mr. Phillips did come off as very informal including lines such as "blowing sunshine up his skirt". I am a second year student in a three year doctorate of PT program and did not find it very helpful for the present or future. It is always good to hear others experiences, but one can get this same content from speaking with any professor or seasoned PT.
The single worst part of the book for me was the lack of proof reading. Perhaps everyone did not have this in their copy, but reading the book I noticed no misspellings but many misplaced words. Examples include "He graduated FORM the U. of Mississippi Medical Center... WERE he met his [wife]," obviously one should graduate FROM an institution and that is WHERE he meets his wife...
This was not just an isolated incident on one page or two, this was consistent throughout the book. Another example was: "If a therapist knows that HER or she has..." every time it should have been "he or she" it said "her or she". Assuming I did not get the one bad book that was like this, I think this is a big blow to the profession that we are trying to establish. This book is one of the few PT related non-text books available out there thus making it more likely a lay person would pick it up. In a time when the public image of our profession is very important, the lack of attention to detail presents as very unprofessional. If Mr. Phillips had handed this book in as a paper to my current professors or even my middle school teachers he would already lose a letter grade or two simply because of his lack of attention. I of course can assume Mr. Phillips is not to blame as more often that not there is an editor, but as he says "the rehabilitation therapists... are usually perfectionists... have a great deal of pride in their work. The thought of failure is not an option." While he has not failed, it certainly is far from perfect.

6 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Nice review! I'm proud of you for fulfilling the need to comment on this book despite all of the other pressing work and commitments you have in front of you.

Good Job!

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super PT, you will soon find that everything you read in the book will come true right before your eyes. You however will forget that you read it and will act as if you already knew everything. It is the typical PT god syndrome and you have it bad. Take some time now to enjoy your status because when you get in the real world you will not last long with your currently mentality.

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you picking and choosing what goes on this blog. I noticed you did not post my comment.

DPT

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

so now we have established that anonymous has earned the DPT or so we can infer by the end of their last comment... we can also infer that anonymous does not read my blog save for the one post in which they commented... had they read the rest of my blog they would have seen this post from 3/31/07 responding to their comment made: http://studentpt.blogspot.com/2007/03/i-happened-to-see-this-comment-from-old.html

All the best to you and yours...

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

and yes, I do pick and choose what gets to go on my blog, we can't let any individual from any edge of the internet just come out and say whatever they wanted to say... that might cause some problems :-D

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home