Monday, January 22, 2007

Ortho Super PT Haters?

Now maybe I am a little sensitive about this issue, maybe a little naive, I realize I still have much to learn about many of these issues, but this article I read recently from the "orthosupersite" which is mainly an orthopaedist geared site was a little harsh on PT's.

In the article they bring about the issue of Physician Owned Physical Therapy Services (POPTS). This is when a PT is on the payroll of the Dr. In many states, even with direct access, it is required for a Dr. to refer a patient to PT "services". When the physician has a PT on his own staff one would have to argue that said physician is likely to refer to said PT. The problem with this of course is the "question of who is the primary beneficiary of physical therapy fees" and the patient losing their own right to choose the best PT for them (Here are the 5 main arguments against POPTS or the uglier name: referral for profit).

Before I go into specific points I would like to say the whole article's tone is very disrespectful to the education I am receiving and the Vision a majority of PT's have in being experts in neuro-musculoskeletal rehabilitation.

At one point
the AAOS explained that prohibiting physical therapy services in physician offices could lower patient quality of care because orthopedic surgeons could no longer directly participate in the rehabilitation of their patients. Ortho. surgeons will always be able to participate in the rehab of their patients, generally their "direct" involvement is writing prescriptions for exercise, but removal of POPTS is not something trying to eliminate the surgeon from patient treatment by any means.

Another point I would like to clarify is that this is not the APTA's primary issues by any means. It certainly is of high regard and certain states, including NY, have this among their major priorities, but by no means is this taking all of our resources as the article implies.

I had a lot more to say on this article but time constraints leave me to end here. Read the article, get upset, and write to the AAOS, APTA or even your political representative to voice your opinion on this issue as it can be a major issues over the next few years.
Good night. Go Bears in the Super Bowl.

1 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know, I really loved this article and the naivety of it. Thanks for sharing it. I've passed it on to my class and a number of our professors. How'd you find it?
I always found some degree of enjoyment in finding out both sides of an issue. I think it's quite interesting to observe the differing viewpoints and discover the underlying motivations of them.
Good post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home