Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Brooklyn, NY was gorgeous today! Haven't seen 70 degrees here in a long time... I took full advantage by going for a run today (click on this link to see the route I ran, this website is great for anyone who runs the streets).

Also, I posted the following in a message board for manual therapy in the 1T: The One Thing You Need For Physical Therapy - hope the link takes you there, if not here is my post anyway:

I get pubmed e-mails on updates of specific topics like "low back pain." Today, I received an abstract of an article from France that only had 64 patients and found short-term vertebral manips to be effective for treating chronic LBP. What I found most interesting from a PT perspective, was the last two lines:
"The assessment of vertebral manipulation effectiveness is difficult. This manual therapy must be preceeded by a specific clinical exam performed by a trained physician."

I cannot draw too many conclusions from this abstract but have to keep in mind: 1) I do not have the full text of the article 2) there is no mention of who performed this manual therapy nor of PT's in the abstract 3) I don't have a great understanding of the French medical system and the role PT plays there (especially when it comes to manips)

Most PT's are trained in manual therapy and many go on to get certifications in the practice of manipulations so would we qualify as a trained physician (A person who heals or exerts a healing influence)?

Here is the link to the pubmed abstract.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home