Sunday, January 06, 2008

PT in ICU can help reduce hospital stay



So here I am on my way to a CPR/AED re-certification class on a Sunday morning. Sitting on the bus I am perusing the latest PT Magazine (January 2008) and wanted to share this from the PT Bulletin Digest in the back (check page 70 if you have it).

One of my classmates is currently doing an affil in an Intensive Care Unit and this is yet another study adding support to PT being a very efficient first line of defense. Furthermore, the blurb about the article has this:

"The project confirms that it is safe to administer early mobility to ICU patients and that it is of benefit. Further studies are planned in order to clarify the optimum number and duration of exercise sessions."

This last sentence brings me to my latest project. In my very sport oriented current practice setting I am preparing a Powerpoint presentation regarding exercise prescription in regards to proper sets, reps, order, and progression. There is a lot of different theories out there and there is a lot going on in PT in general.

PS, the freakin' CPR class was canceled and no one informed me... what a waste of a Sunday morning, ah well, I get to hang out with my nephew and niece.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home