Sunday, November 05, 2006

Fun Day

Woke up this morning... drove my mom to airport, drove to my apartment, got my stuff, got on the train and the real fun began...

I was a part of the "largest medical volunteer staff" for any sporting event ever, according to the medical director of the race. The ING New York City Marathon was an awesome day. Speaking of which I have been using the word "awesome" an awful lot.

There were medical stations set up along the 26.2 mile stretch that the race covered. A bunch of my classmates and I were 15 blocks past the finish line so everyone that we saw ran all those 26.2 miles, which I don't think I can motivate myself to ever complete, so that much more respect for these elite athletes.

Past the finish line we dealt with a lot of fatigue, a bit of cold, cramps, nausea, and the podiatry students dealt with anything below the ankle. We had a great group of my fellow PT students, podiatry students, a Doctor of Osteopathic, an MD, and a few RN's.

I look forward to doing it next year. The best part was using my selective muscle tension test that I learned a few weeks ago. There was a suspected achilles tendon rupture, but the patient was able to hold his foot in a plantar flexed position against resistance with no pain which indicates that the tissue is normal.

Here's some of the volunteers and our "team captain":

1 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger Michele said...

love that you are so active and care so much....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home