Friday, October 20, 2006

Questions 3 and 4

I apologize to anyone who was waiting for these with anticipation last night... I had some internet issues, perhaps the Mets losing caused some internet interference... who knows...

3. What can the Student Assembly do to promote professional behavior of future practitioners?

Events such as the National Student Conclave are excellent ways to promote professional behavior. The SA can encourage more students to attend such conferences and also encourage more local conclaves to be developed and run. I recently helped organize a regional conclave in NY which I felt helped foster professional behavior for those that attended and also for everyone involved in the organization process. Furthermore, the SA can promote the standards that have been set by the APTA for professional behaviors through self-evaluation documents. Tools such as the student message board, SSIGs, student and faculty liaisons, the SA Pulse are great ways to spread the message of professionalism.

In the end, professionalism can only come from the individual. In a field like PT one cannot survive without mastering all of the aspects of professionalism.

4. How can we encourage more students to continue their APTA membership upon graduation?

I believe the APTA has already taken some great steps towards encouraging this via Career Starter Dues and the formation of the New Professionals group. The last statistics I heard is that about 40% of licensed PTs are members of the APTA. Imagine if we increase that to 60%. Those dues can go to promote the profession via advertising, politicking, other professional and support services that the Association offers.

If only everyone could just listen to Teddy (former post)...

"Every man owes part of his time and money to the business of the industry in which he is engaged. No man has the moral right to withhold his support from an organization that is trying to improve conditions within his sphere." - Teddy Roosevelt

6 nights left until I am in Dallas... Have to make sure I study for my musculoskeletal diagnosis and management exam and practical...

PS, yesterday I joined two other students from my PT program and one of our professors in going to my high school alma mater to promote PT and inform high schoolers about PT as a career. I would call the day a grand success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home