Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Student Conclave

Much excitement on my part for the conclave I have helped organize for this Saturday. It is bound to be a great day with exceptional learnng opportunities. When I attended last years regional student conclave I met some great people and was exposed to many aspects of PT I would have otherwise never known. The day will include 3 nationally renowned speakers and one that should be, a chance for students to share their opinions with their peers on some hot topics in PT, a raffle with 23 chances to win a total of $1,500 worth of brand new text books.

I do want to stand up on my soapbox and say how dissapointed I am that 3 neighboring schools have a grand total of 1 person registered to attend between them. I am just a firm believer in extrcurricualr activites, especially ones that are free for APTA members and only $10 for non-members. All of the proceeds go to help PT as a profession. I cannot repeat enough how great an honor it is to have the speakers that we do have for the event, and how great an opportunity it is to come hear them speak. It ends up upsetting me because I have a vested interest in my profession, and I am planning for the future. I know that if we were able to get the hundreds of PT students in the NYC area to band together to some degree we could make a difference now and for the future of our profession. Alright, off my soap box...

It is a busy week, PT was just the focus of a Forbes magazine article entitled Health Tip: Can Physical Therapy Help Your Child?

This week the federal government will not be sending out checks to health care providers for payments due them on medicare recipients, as a way of saving money... Happy Medicare Festivus...

Personally: I have the student conclave to get ready for as the Master of Ceremonies and student organizer on top of getting my inservice finished (which I wish I had more time to perfect, silly procrastination), complete my Clinical Performance Instrument (a tool developed to help document student PT's learning experience at clinic) and all the other paperwork that goes into a clinical experience, on Sunday the Brooklyn Staten Island district of the NYPTA is hosting a booth at the 3rd Ave. Festival to help inform the public about PT which I am also volunteering for as well as coaching my football team... I need a day job... oh yea, I am paying 4 credits worth of tuition for the privilige to work 40 hours a week and not get paid...

I am done... back to inservice work
Good night

1 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm..ALL PT students do affiliations..you may feel like you're working 40 hours a week for free, but you are LEARNING something I hope. Think of it as an investment in your professional career.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home