Friday, July 21, 2006

Hate

Strong word... very few things I hate... but here goes...

People that smoke... moreover, people that smoke around me... worst yet, people that smoke around children... Now I do not hate people that smoke, I hate the fact that they smoke and are destroying their own health and anyone around them. I also would be very interested in seeing the effect of the smoke that enters the atmosphere (I have yet to see any research on the subject, but then again I have not looked that hard)

I hate regrets...

Hate, hate... eh, not too much else I hate because of the following...

We have no free will!

Now I know I am veering away from the focus of this blog (Student PT) but I thought this was interesting enough to write about. This was brought up to me by a Philosophy professor I had in college. Basically he stated that every single aspect of your life, every decision you make, is because of something external. You have no control. Why did you choose the chicken over the fish, not because you have a real choice, but because of some past experience that has made you favor fish over chicken, or something you heard, or even a desire you cannot control. From birth you have no control over anything. This is why there is a nature versus nurture debate, because those are the two things that make a person who they are.

It is a complex theory but it makes a lot of sense. It makes it hard for me to be completely upset at someone because they are a victim of their genetics or environment. This makes me very tolerant of a lot of things and people. Of course we should not let murderers go because they were abused as children and "it's not their fault", people still should be held accountable for their impact on society...

Anyway back to reality, this is the first week I can recall this summer that I do not have a quiz or exam, so woo hoo. I go study now and such.

Calvin and Hobbes Explain It All

And I leave you with some qoutes I have recently come across...

"The time is always right to do right." Nelson Mandela
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell." Aldous Huxley
"Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you." Tommy Smothers
"We're lost but we're making good time." Yogi Berra
"You can't buy love, but you can pay heavily for it." Henny Youngman
"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay and price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and success of liberty." JFK

1 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calvin always says it best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home