Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Direct Access/ACL injuries

BREAKING NEWS: NEW YORK is 43rd state to get Direct Access!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Insider information... It is official as of today, and will most likely go into effect within 30 days.
This is huge in the world of PT, and I plan to do a better write up of the implications of this momentous bill (25 years of fighting for it, 1 year for me... and boom we get it :-)
I would like to thank all of those who wrote letters to the governor and to every single person involved over the last 25 years for making my future a little brighter as far as autonomour practice goes. VISION 2020 - read about where we want to take PT in the next few years.

In other news I have a quiz tomorrow and upon reading the only other student PT blog I know about she has a test on the same subject so instead of just responding to her latest post on the RealRehab page I will do it here:
Isn't that funny, I have a quiz tomorrow on the knee and hip/pelvis... As a review and perhaps to "compare notes" let me know if you have anything different from the info we got:

ACL Tears - usually complete
MOI- hyperext., valgus, ant. tib. translation
Tx- conservative unless gross instability
Sx- allograft, autograft, synthetic (nylon)
*allograft - taken from cadaver, autograft- taken from pt. and transplanted to other part of their body --> most common tendonds taken: 1st-patellar tendon, 2nd-hams
Traditional and accelerated protocol
young pt.--> reconstruction
research says:
1/3 conservative Tx alone = full recovery - "copers"
1/3 are "adapters" who do not get Sx and scale down their activity level
1/3 are the Sx group or "non-adapters" who's injuries are so bad they give out with ADL's

Also, through the numerous conferences I have been to since I started PT school last year I have seen ACL prevention brought up at almost every single one... here is one resource that may be useful to many people: aclprevent.com
Also, I would like to point out that because of a generally greater Q angle in females, they are much more likely to get an ACL injury and should be the focus of prevention programs.

Now I go study the rest of the knee and hip/pelvis and all the terrible fractures that can happen to them.
All the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home