Saturday, December 02, 2006

Health Tip for My Bday

Since I am getting older, all the way up to 23 now... I have to make sure I keep my brain "plastic". Not plastic like the material that makes up so many everyday items, but plastic like the ability to be shaped. I read this tip a few years ago and have been keeping up with it since then.

The tip is to try to do certain activities, my big one is brushing my teeth, with your non-dominant hand. Even when I start doodling in class I try to write with my non-dominant hand, which is a bit of a challenge. The idea behind why this is useful is that your brain is forced to open new or often neglected neural "wires". The younger you are the more likely you are to pick up the ability to use the non-dominant hand, but the older you are the more important it is for your brain to be active to avoid diseases like Alzheimer's, which is strongly linked to intellectual inactivity.

Well I am off to have a birthday full of studying and eating birthday cake with my left hand...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home