Thursday, April 17, 2008

Meat & Potatoes

I have veered a little from the original intent of this site, which was to share my experiences as a student. It is often easier to simply share interesting news stories, and I plead guilty.

So as of this morning, I have two weeks left of any kind of actual school where I get graded for my performance. This is pretty darn exciting. I will have my doctorate within a month.

At this point of transition it is great to have options. The field is very open and jobs are available left and right all across the land. Which makes it that much easier for me to find an ideal setting. It is my desire at this time to apply for an orthopedic residency to continue my education while gaining "real-world" experience (whatever that is). More on the residency in a later post (when I get my stuff together for application).

So here is the time line:
  • Today is April 17
  • April 18 - Clinic
  • April 19 - Clinic
  • weekend will include baby showers and participation in a brain imaging study
  • week 10 of 11 will include my return to school on Wednesday for Discovery Day to present my case study on talar AVN - and take a practice board exam all the while organizing our graduation plans.
  • week 11 of 11 will include presenting my inservice presentation on neural regeneration after SCI.
  • the end of week 10 includes two scheduled discharges out of the five main patients I have been seeing, which is exciting. I will miss all the patients and staff...
  • May 2 - board review day and more grad prep at school
  • May 3 - Brooklyn Half-marathon and celebration of a college roommates upcoming wedding up in CT
  • Study for boards and coach some football until May 15th when I graduate!
  • May 16 - in a wedding
  • next 6 weeks will be interesting as I have more weddings and baby showers to attend all the while studying for the boards and making sure I am ready, because it takes about 6 weeks after graduation for everything to get processed to allow one to take the board exam to become licensed as a PT.
  • the residency I want to be a part of starts in January
  • Job possibilities as I mentioned are vast and I will have to balance them all out to find the best fit
  • At some point I have to figure out what to do with this blog since I wont be a student anymore (whimper)... perhaps a new professional blog is in order... yea that sounds right...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home