Saturday, March 22, 2008

John Iams/CAM

I wanted to publicly respond to an e-mail I received inquiring about my opinion of John Iams.

Here is YouTube video of Mr. Iams discussing the changing times. Other than the circles in which he talks, the most befuddling part of the video starts at about 4 minutes and 22 seconds when he begins discussing evidence-based practice. The problem with guru's such as Mr. Iams and their theoretical models that are not based on any true scientific basis is they want to write off EBP or ignore it. Upon reviewing his website (PRRT) I can only say I was less impressed the more I saw. While we do live in a capitalistic society, the whole money-back guarantee on your magical product.
Here on his "blog", he addresses the EBP issue and claims that this technique is too new to have evidence and "it has been clinically proven to frequently reduce pain by 50% or more, even on the first visit."

While I am in this profession for the patient, and believe any form of pain relief that can be long lasting is worth going through all sorts of unusual treatments, I ultimately have to share in the opinions of the EIM team. Here is another post and comments on the issue worth taking a look at. The idea of CAM will certainly be one of interest in the years to come, which is why EBP is that much more important to continue to improve upon.

In other news:
More support for exercise... as if we really needed it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home